streaming images

Pete Shinners shredwheat at attbi.com
Wed Mar 6 22:45:36 EST 2002

Bill wrote:
> I'm receiving images through the network from a server.  I use python and
> PIL to receive the image.  I need to display the images in real time as they
> come (meaning I cant save a bunch of them and create an animated GIF or
> something like that).  If I do an image.show() on each image I receive, a
> seperate window will pop up for each image and the desktop gets cluttered.
> Any ideas on how to do this?  Is there a way for me to UPDATE the window
> with a new image so that only that window stays open?  Do I need something
> else besides PIL to do this or will PIL be adaquate?

you'll need to actually run your own graphics window. most gui libraries
allow you to display PIL images. i might add it's fairly simple to do
this with the pygame package (http://www.pygame.org) without PIL.

in fact someone has already done something similar to this. there is a
simple little utility that streams jpg images from an online webcam.
http://www3.telus.net/futility/futility/software.html#pypanda