Why do Windows sockets break after exactly 4 minutes?

Erno Kuusela erno-news at erno.iki.fi
Thu Mar 21 23:18:19 EST 2002

In article <mailman.1016754947.17945.python-list at python.org>, Geoffrey
Talvola <gtalvola at nameconnector.com> writes:

| I've noticed that Windows sockets seem to close all by themselves if there
| is no activity for 4 minutes.  Does anyone know why?  Is it possible to
| control this behavior?  Just a link to some documentation of this behavior
| would be greatly appreciated.

usually when this happens, it means there is some sort of "stateful
firewall" [sic] or NAT box in the way. if you can find out where
it is and who controls it, it may be possible to alleviate the problem
by increasing the timeout setting. or you can add some sort of
periodical dummy message into your protocol to refresh the memory
of the interloper box.

  -- erno