Anyone need a program written?

Jeff Bienstadt jeffbi at jetsoft.com
Fri Mar 29 12:23:45 EST 2002

"Andrei Kulakov" <ak at silmarill.org> wrote in message
news:slrnaa93j2.kqo.ak at ak.silmarill.org...
> In article <7o_o8.17314$Ou.7311 at atlpnn01.usenetserver.com>, Steve Holden
wrote:
> > "Fused" <I.j.w.Wever at student.tnw.tudelft.nonsense.nonsense.nl> wrote in
> > message news:3ca43ef4.3666136 at news.tudelft.nl...
> >> I'm currently trying to master Python, but to succeed I need to
> >> exercise. However, I detest building programs that have already been
> >> built a kazillion times and aren't of use to anyone.
> >> Can anyone think of a program that I could build that would actually
> >> have use to someone (you?)? I'm trained in Delphi, know some Java and
> >> rudimentary C, so the programs don't need to be newbie-easy ( I like a
> >> challenge: the greater the challenge, the faster I'll learn ;-) ).
> >
> > I'd really like to see a Python mail/newsreader. That would teach you a
lot,
> > and keep you busy for a while...
> >
> I'd like to second that. I use slrn and mutt and they're pretty good but
> I'd hack on a few things, polish rough edges, etc if they were written
> in python. A program that tries to do both probably won't be very good
> at either, if I were you I'd either make a news or - an email reader.
>
>  - Andrei

I've just recently started working on a newsreader in Python (it was the
underlying reason behind my earlier "IntSpan" posts).  It's not much
further along than the idea stage at this point, since I'm trying to
sandwich it in between several other projects, but I have a few lines of
experimental code that uses nntplib.

I'm doing this primarily as a way to learn Python (why start small :->),
but also so that I can have a news reader that
   a) works
   b) runs on both my Linux and Windows boxen
   c) isn't Outlook Express

If anybody is interested in joining me on this, or just interested in
hearing some of my thoughts on the subject, e-mail me --- I love
collaborative projects.

---jkb