The language vs. the environment

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 6 10:50:48 EST 2002

Skip Montanaro wrote:

> There has been a huge amount of recent PEP activity related to further
> enhancements to the language.  I think in general that if more of this
> energy was directed at the overall environment (library, support tools,
> installers, documentation, etc) we'd be better off in the long run.

[snip]

Let me add to your list distutils. They are nice but need a fair amount of
work. Projects such as PyXML and SciPy have ended up writing a lot of
wraparound utility code basically to provide functionality which it would be
nice to have in the core system (useful to all). So one more for the list of
'useful things that benefit the community even though they don't sound cool'
:)

Cheers,

f.