Dealing with python version

Andrei Kulakov ak at silmarill.org
Tue Mar 26 22:50:36 EST 2002

Hello,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like if python1.6 or 2.0 are
already installed and you install a newer version, python command still
points to the old interpreter.

I think it would be sensible to use the newest installed python to run
a program. Is there some elegant way to do that?

I would ideally prefer it to run using newest interpreter available
unless it's older than some minimum requirement. It's not very
user-friendly to put #!/usr/bin/env python2.1 bang line and then say in
a README that if user gets an error, he has to somehow find out what's
the latest version he's got and change the bang line to it.

What's the proper way to deal with all of this?

Thanks,

 - Andrei

get it at: cy.silmarill.org