Binary generation with distutils? (Freeze, py2exe, etc.)

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Wed Mar 20 04:02:41 EST 2002

"Fernando Pérez" <fperez528 at yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a78uvi$ff1$1 at peabody.colorado.edu...
> Magnus Lie Hetland wrote:
>

> > - Magnus (who also is a bit baffled as to why distutils doesn't
> > include an "uninstall" command, such as the one implemented by
> > Thomas Heller.)
>
> Amen. It's incredibly annoying to have to tell users that a simple python
> setup.py install does the trick as far as splattering files all over their
> system, but that there's no reasonable way of undoing the process easily.

I've just posted a little script to ActiveState's Python cookbook
which helps with this (at least on windows, but something similar
could be done on linux IMO):

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/117248

It builds a windows installer on the fly from a distutil's source
distribution, and runs this. This gives you uninstall support.
I've tested it with pychecker, anygui, twisted, and more packages
I don't remember at the moment.

My uninstall command Magnus menntions is a little hack only,
a real distutils uninstall command would probably require to
implement PEP 262 (database of installed packages) and let the
install command update this database.

Thomas