Python vs. C/C++/Java: quantitative data ?

G. Sumner Hayes sumner-nntp5 at forceovermass.com
Wed Mar 27 02:22:53 EST 2002

Paul Rubin <phr-n2002a at nightsong.com> wrote:
> Ingo Linkweiler <i.linkweiler at gmx.de> writes:
>> - Do YOU think, it is more easy to learn python than perl, java or C++  or
>> ..... ?
>
> Perl may be easiest to do some simple things, but gets horribly
> complicated as you try to do harder things.  Python is easier than
> java and java is easier than C++.

Agreed.  As long as we're stating personal opinions, C is harder than
Python but easier than Java or C++, both in learning the language and
writing large, maintainable projects.  OO is not a myth, it does help
for a certain (large) class of problems, but the complexity of the C++
language and the Java libraries more than outweigh the benefits of
in-language support for a particular methodology.

This is not to say that you can't write maintainable C++/Java, but it's
been my experience that large projects in those languages tend towards
entropy faster than large C projects and far faster than large Python
projects.

>> - What do you think about the syntax of Python? Is it easy to use, or do you
>> have any problems with it?
>
> Mostly easy.  There's some surprises

Yes.

  Sumner

--
rage, rage against the dying of the light

Usenet email address changes periodically.  sumner-nntp at forceovermass
period com is more permanent.