Windows NT shell + extended characters. Bug or what?

Wolfgang Strobl ws at mystrobl.de
Sun Mar 17 08:26:24 EST 2002

Sat, 16 Mar 2002 16:31:28 -0000, "Noel Smith" <nsbase at yahoo.co.uk>:

>Although I agree that interpreter can't determine the encoding
>automatically,

Of course the interpreter can determine the encoding automatically, it
just doesn't.

> it would be really nice to be able to set the input encoding
>when you start it up.

Please note that input encoding and output encoding may be different.
The respective Win32 API functions are GetConsoleCP and
GetConsoleOutputCP.

>Its a real pain to look up the unicode value for every
>extended character you want to use and it would make Python a lot easier for
>those with a large number of extended characters on their keyboards.

Why don't you just use chcp 1252?

--
Wir danken für die Beachtung aller Sicherheitsbestimmungen