Extending Python/Tkinter

Cris Eck ceck at lakota-tsi.com
Tue Mar 19 11:38:52 EST 2002

I have a C++ class that draws maps that I've been assigned to extend
into python.  The class uses X primitive calls (XDrawPoint, etc.) to
do much of the work and I'm at a loss on how to integrate this as an
extension to Python.  Initially I thought  I could get a drawable,
display and graphics context from the Tk C API.  Then I saw that
Tkinter is using the Tcl interpreter and not calling the Tk routines
directly.  Now I'm lost.  I'm a newbie to Python/Tk/Tcl and hitting
info overload from looking through so many books and web pages (sorry
is this is a bad question).  I'm missing something crucial or this
approach is half-baked or both.

-c