ActivePython 2.2 released!

David Ascher DavidA at ActiveState.com
Fri Mar 29 01:46:25 EST 2002

We are pleased to announce that version 2.2 of ActivePython is now
available for download from http://www.ActiveState.com/ActivePython

I'll also take this opportunity to mention that we will shortly be
issuing ActivePython 2.1.2 (a bug-fix release for Python 2.1), and
ActivePython 2.2.1 (a bug fix release for Python 2.2 currently
undergoing final testing).

We're releasing 2.2 regardless of these upcoming releases because we'd
like to solicit feedback on some of the changes we've made in
ActivePython.  Specifically,

  - the Windows installer is brand new, and should work on a wider
    variety of platforms than before, including non-Administrator
accounts.
  - there is more documentation bundled, including several tutorials
    which were not previously shipped (especially on Linux).
  - We've made some changes to the Python Package Manager (PyPPM).

The PPM modules currently available include:

     * mxBase -- A set of utility classes including mxDateTime,
       mxTextTools, mxStack, mxTools, and mxProxy
     * Numeric -- high performance multi-dimensional array support
     * PIL -- the standard Python Imaging Library
     * PyChecker -- a code-proofing tool
     * StandaloneZODB -- the persistence solution from Zope, now
       available outside of Zope
     * ZSI -- the reference SOAP library
     * pyperl -- ActiveState's interface between Python and Perl

Please submit email feedback to ActivePython-feedback at ActiveState.com,
and file bugs against ActivePython at
bugs.ActiveState.com/ActivePython.  We will be using that feedback to
prepare the 2.2.1 and 2.1.2 releases.

Thanks, and enjoy!

-- David Ascher
   ActiveState