Reorganizing python.org (was: Why isn't pychecker...)

Christian Tanzer tanzer at swing.co.at
Thu Mar 7 01:02:00 EST 2002

Gerrit Muller <gerrit.muller at philips.com> wrote:

> > >     Define "page".  If you say 800x600 you'd lose.
> >
> > Good question.  How would you define a page in terms of web design?
> >
> > Eliminating most if not all scrolling on reference pages seems
> > particularly important. Some reference pages seem way too long.  And
> > your point is well taken.  I have a large monitor, but I use relatively
> > big fonts, so I'm only using 1024x768...
> >
> > Edward
> <...snip...>
> at this moment in time 1024*768 is a reasonable choice; the poor 14" CRT
> users will need some scrolling, but all more lucky 15" LCD and 17" CRT
> and above will have a scroll free overview.

You are assuming that everybody is wasting the full screen on the
browser's window. That might be true for the average windows user but
is not true in general. For instance, my monitor displays 1800x1024,
but the browser gets only about 850x650 of that.

IMHO, software/web pages making such assumptions suck.

--
Christian Tanzer                                         tanzer at swing.co.at
Glasauergasse 32                                       Tel: +43 1 876 62 36