should i learn it first ?

Qiang.JL dragon at china.org
Sat Mar 9 11:29:33 EST 2002

thanks for your insightful answer , Paul

"Paul Rubin" <phr-n2002a at nightsong.com> wrote in message
news:7xpu2ex6xz.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com...
> "Qiang.JL" <dragon at china.org> writes:

> That's separate from needing to learn something to be a good
> programmer.  To be a good programmer I think you need a sense of what
> the machine is doing, so you should learn a low level language, but if
> you're just doing it for the sake of learning, you may as well go all
> the way and learn to program in assembly language.  There used to be a
> saying that assembly language programming is good for the soul.
>
> That doesn't mean you should actually try to develop complex programs
> in assembler and make them useful--you should just get some experience
> with it as an exercise, to understand how computer's instruction set
> works and have a sense of what a compiler does.  Once you've done
> that, C will seem very straightforward and logical to you.

oh, assembly language. It's one of my course now :)

> > which one is better to start with ? ( I'm not a program beginner so
python
> > being a beginner programmer maybe not be applied here)
> >
> > How many language do you think one should _master_? I think one or two
is
> > enough.learning others are letting you to learn the language concept and
> > structure etc certainly helpful.
>
> If you're an experienced programmer in other languages, you can learn
> basically everything about Python in a few weeks.  C++ takes longer
> but again, it's just a computer language that some people designed.
> It's not like a spoken language which evolves over thousands of years.
> The thing is, to really understand C++, you have to spend time working
> on multi-programmer projects.  If you only program by yourself, some
> parts of C++ will never make sense to you.

Note that i said to have a couple language to "master"? I really want to
learn
some in depth not just being able to write couple lines. currently these
languages i am going to
dig deeper and know it better.
java  perl  python (maybe C/C++ someday, man i really have the urge to learn
it,as everyone around me saying to get into serious programming, C/C++ is a
must. well, i heard what you said :- )
and there are a lot more i want to learn. popular or useful

Q.