PEP 282: A Logging System -- comments please

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Mar 9 17:36:12 EST 2002

On Sat, 09 Mar 2002 15:54:28 GMT, Edward K. Ream <edream at tds.net> wrote:
>I'd like to say a few more words about the proposed logger class.  These
>will be my last words on this subject.
>
>No other Python Module does as little, in essence, as would the logger
>class.  Indeed, the heart of the proposed logger class is:
>
>  if self.isEnabledForLevel(level):
>    self.put(aString)
>
>If the logger class used dynamic tracing, its essence would be:
>
>  if self.tracePointMatchesDict(tracepoint):
>    self.put(aString)
>
>A logger class should reflect the simplicity of the problem.

I feel this way too.

Logging is simple enough in concept that it is probably just as easy
to implement it from scratch in one's own project as to use an API
which, because it tries to pack lots of functionality in, is rather
complex to learn.

--
<"><"><"> Philip Hunt <philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk> <"><"><">
"I would guess that he really believes whatever is politically