Standalone Win32 wxPython apps?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Mar 9 23:31:27 EST 2002

In article <3C8ADDD3.E3ACC1EB at engcorp.com>, Peter Hansen wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:

>> I'm considering writing a wxWindows app for Win32.  The only
>> way I'm willing to do this is by doing all of the development
>> under Unix, and then grit my teeth while I package up the
>> final product for Win32.
>
> Please tell us you are willing to bend a little and at least
> *test* under Win32 before you deliver it.  Evidence from the
> Era of Java shows that nothing is write-once-run-anywhere...

I'll test it a bit, though there are others who will probably
do a lot more testing than I will.  I've never found that the
author of a program is very good at testing it.  Write once,
debug everywhere...

>> Optimally, it would be a single "exe" file that doesn't
>> require any installation procedure.
>
> That's too much to ask for even a native Windows app in most
> cases these days.

That's kind of sad, but I figured as much.  The only real
stand-alone Win32 app I've seen in a long while is puTTY. Are
statically linked apps just not possible under Win32, or just
not practical?

>> If that's not possible, it would be permissible to use a
>> typical "isntall-wizard" type installation ...
>
> Great, you have several options available.
>
>> It looks like Gordon McMillan's installer might fit the bill.
>
> That's probably one.  I haven't used it.
>
>> Anybody care to share any experiences distributing wxWindows
>> apps for Win32?
>
> py2exe will do everything you need except the installer part
> of the puzzle.  But there are many installers available,
> including freebie versions of some of the better ones.

Actually, I used to have a licensed copy of one of those -- I
think it was Wise.  It got lost when our offices moved, but I'm
sure one of the Windows guys has something similar.

> Use py2exe and you'll get a directory with the Python DLL, the
> wxPython DLL, your EXE, and a few other DLLs as needed (e.g.
> the native regular expression stuff if you use it).

I don't know diddly about DLLs, so pardon the ignorant
question: Can my DLLs be put in a private directory where my
EXE can find them?  I'd rather not put anything in any public
system directories.

> Package and ship, easy as pie.  (I've used PowerArc with
> its option to package into a self-extracting ZIP as a
> poor-man's version of an installer and it worked nicely.)

Sounds like it might work.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Yow! Am I in
                                  at               Milwaukee?