Where is/What happened to ActivePython (PythonWin) 2.2 ?!

Jim Dennis jimd at vega.starshine.org
Sun Mar 31 07:36:11 EST 2002

In article <a807qp$ojhct$1 at ID-11957.news.dfncis.de>, Emile van Sebille wrote:

>"Charl P. Botha" <cpbotha at i_triple_e.org> wrote in message
>news:slrnaa6uf4.d4j.cpbotha at crabtree.cpbotha.net...
>> In article <mailman.1017345813.18473.python-list at python.org>,
>> David Ascher wrote:
>>> Thanks for all the interest in ActivePython.  We hope to not have
>these
>>> kinds of delays in the future.

>> Just remember not to split your infinitives in the future. ;)

> There is no longer consensus that splitting infinitives is wrong due to
> the awkward constructs avoiding it often gives rise to.

>Emile van Sebille

 There is also no longer a consensus that dangling prepositions
 are something up with which one should not put.

 The passive voice makes most of these statements longer and
 more awkward.  Try:

 	Avoiding split infinitives often makes for awkward constructs.

 or:

 	Some argue that ...

 or even:

 	There is growing dissent on whether the avoidance of split
	infinitives is worth the awkwardness that ensues.

 Depending on whether the emphasis was intended to be on the
 avoidance of split infinitives, or on the emerging controversy
 in some grammarian community.  Notice that the last of my examples
 slipped back into the passive voice and grew much longer.

 The active voice is generally more concise.  Verbiage is often in
 the passive voice.

 Use of the passive voice conveys a more detached tone and often
 brandishes an academic and objective veneer.  In other words, it's
 used to sound intellectual.

 (BTW: I often find myself slipping into the passive voice, and I
 often have to back up and delete whole paragraphs to extricate my
 message from obscurity).