regular expression for nested matching braces

Paul M p.magwene at snet.net
Sun Mar 3 00:15:31 EST 2002

Is it possible to create a regular expression for searching for the
outermost matching braces in a string in which there may be nested braces?

For example, given this string:

"A line of text with {multiple and {nested} braces} to {confuse} re!"

I'd like to create a regular expression which would find the substring:

"{multiple and {nested} braces}"

on the first search invocation, and then:

"{confuse}"

on the second invocation of the search method.

It would seem I would need some sort of negative lookbehind assertion, but
of arbitrary, rather than fixed length.  It's fairly straightfoward to write
a function to do this, but a suitable regular expression would save me a few
headaches.

Is what I'm asking possible?

Thanks,
Paul Magwene