PEP262 - database of installed packages

Duncan Booth duncan at NOSPAMrcp.co.uk
Mon Mar 25 10:10:56 EST 2002

"A.M. Kuchling" <akuchlin at crystal.mems-exchange.org> wrote in
news:slrna9ubdf.f6.akuchlin at crystal.mems-exchange.org:

>>           * XXX do we need to store permissions?  The owner/group?
>> +         THE: no, not on windows.
>
> Really?  Even on Windows, couldn't files be potentially owned by
> Administrator or some other user.  We should definitely have
> permissions and owner/group on Unix; can you tell me what Windows
> needs here?  (I assume MacOS X would be the same as Unix, and earlier
> MacOS versions aren't multi-user, so they don't need anything.)

On Windows systems all files on an NTFS partition have an owner and access
control lists. The command "DIR /Q" displays the owner of each file, or you
can add a column to the explorer view. By default I think each file is
owned by the owner of the directory in which they are created
(BUILTIN\Administrators for just about everything). My laptop also has a
FAT partition. It seems that files on that are owned by 'Everyone'. :-(