Telnet-like interface with authentication in server

Jason Orendorff jason at jorendorff.com
Thu Mar 14 12:55:09 EST 2002

Thomas Weholt wrote:
> Got a webserver based on BaseHTTPServer using threads and I want a simple
> text-based interface to, like telnet. Would it be possible to
> have a normal
> telnet-client connect to my server somehow, get a prompt for username and
> password and be able to run simple commands and see some output ?
>
> This would be very handy for debugging etc.

I think you'll find it easier to write a simple Python program and
use it as your client.

Telnet sends raw bytes back and forth; if you want e.g. the Backspace
key to work properly, then you have to implement it yourself *on the
server side*.  But if you write your own client, you can use
raw_input() and then just send a line at a time to the server.

More later.

## Jason Orendorff    http://www.jorendorff.com/