Learning from imperfect lectures

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Mar 7 21:29:18 EST 2002

Roman Suzi wrote:

> I do not remember who told me this, but it seems that students
> better learn from poorly constructed lectures than perfect ones.
> Because, they need to be _active_ in constructing their own system
> rather than _passively_ "eat" readymaid knowledge frames.

Wow.  Deep... I like this (to me) completely new idea.

Anyone know where it came from?  References to a study or something?

Someone I know worked for months (on and off) on a presentation that
could have been done (imperfectly) in a week.  When it was presented,
the reception seemed to me rather luke-warm, in spite of apparently
strong interest in the audience ahead of it (and after).  The
presentation struck me at the time as being _very_ "polished", but
perhaps with too little unsaid for someone to question, or think
about.  I suspect this is the reason why it didn't seem to work.

-Peter