Integers class...?

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Mar 10 22:55:59 EST 2002

Bernhard Herzog wrote:

> Slices support a step parameter, so
>
>     for x in int[9:-1:-1]:

I don't consider that a good solution, for
two reasons:

(1) I'm not sure what the semantics are of
slices with negative steps.  There are at
least 4 equally plausible interpretations of
[a:b:-c] if you count all the possible
combinations of endpoint swapping and
open/closed swapping.

(2) Even if the semantics are well-defined,
it's too mind-bending remembering and applying
them correctly in any given situation. It's
no better than range(a,b,-c) in that respect.

This is one of the things I was trying to
address with for x <= i < y.

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg