MS Sql Server

Hans Nowak wurmy at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 24 12:30:02 EST 2002

Chase wrote:

> Hi...
>
> Wondering what the most accepted practice is, for communicating to Sql
> Server Databases. Is it the ODBC module ? mxODBC ? Is there an ADO module ?
>
> Any hints/help appreciated.

Besides the more obvious solutions, SQL Server 2000 also has
a thing called SQLXML, allowing you to talk to a database
through HTTP, using specialized URLs or XML.

Pro: No drivers necessary. You can write a nice, portable,
pure-Python interface. Access database from anywhere.

Con: It's as fast as your HTTP connection (although that
may not be much of a problem if you're running your
database local or on a LAN). And, AFAIK, there's no generic
SQLXML module (or package) for Python yet. (Although I
might be allowed to publish some of code I've written
for my current project...)

--
Hans (base64.decodestring('d3VybXlAZWFydGhsaW5rLm5ldA=='))
# decode for email address ;-)