Deitel and Deitel Book...

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri Mar 1 10:33:30 EST 2002

aahz at panix.com (Aahz Maruch) writes:

> In article <uvgcgwq1a.fsf at python.net>, Michael Hudson  <mwh at python.net> wrote:
> >Dennis Roark <denro at NSPAMearthlink.net> writes:
> >>
> >> The Python book appears substantially based on the templates of
> >> their previous books.
> >
> >Certainly the first draft of chapter 2 that I reviewed[0] looked
> >suspiciously like the corresponding chapter from Java:HTP.  That went
> >back with a lot of red ink on it...
>
> All right, let me ask: are there any reviewers who think that PyHTP looks
> like a book written by Python programmers rather than a book written by
> Java programmers?

Well, the published version looks less like this than the initial
version, at least.  What worried me more was the fact that it seems to
cover 101 topics -- I have a feeling it might give a reader enough
knowledge to be really dangerous in some areas, but no more.

> >[0] My, there were a lot of reviewers weren't there?
>
> Yup.  A lot of *opinionated* reviewers, at that.  In all fairness, it's
> pretty clear that Deitel paid a fair amount of attention to our
> comments, but thought it was more important to stick with the style of
> their existing books.

Well, some of the things that struck me as odd might have some thought
behind them -- the repitition being one of the more obvious.

> And, heck, they *did* pay well for my time.

Yeah, though I'll be happier when I actually get paid... (this is my
first encounter with the IRS).

And I now have the 2.2 source on my home box (which is currently
sundered from the internet).  Must find a book to review as 2.3 is
being prepared <wink>.

Cheers,
M.

--
  The meaning of "brunch" is as yet undefined.
                                             -- Simon Booth, ucam.chat