should i learn it first ?

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Mar 10 08:39:28 EST 2002

On Sat, 09 Mar 2002 22:57:42 -0500, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:

>I agree with much of what you say, especially the "consider skipping
>C++ and just learn C part", but _what_ pragmatic point of view is it
>that has one learning Perl, Java, or C++ when one uses Python already?
>Not dissing those languages, but when would you really need them?

I can think of several tasks for which C++ is better than Python,
e.g. writing operating systems, network stacks, windowing systems,
run-time interpreters, crypto algorithms, etc.

--
<"><"><"> Philip Hunt <philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk> <"><"><">
"I would guess that he really believes whatever is politically