[ANN] Pyro 2.5 available

Irmen de Jong irmen at NOSPAMREMOVETHISxs4all.nl
Sun Mar 24 08:40:48 EST 2002

For the people out there that are interested in Pyro;

> You can get the latest Pyro version (2.5) at http://pyro.sourceforge.net
>
> What's new:
> New URIs to make object lookup even simpler

I forgot to mention:
for the new PYRONAME:// and PYROLOC:// URIs to work, I had to make some changes
to the Pyro Daemon.
The Daemon itself is now also a Pyro object. This means you can access the
Daemon remotely.
I'm not sure if this is a good approach.
On one hand, it is quite flexible, because we can now get interesting
information from the Daemon, such as all registered objects.
On the other hand, I see a potential security and stability risk. You don't want
anybody to access the Daemon... right?

What do you think? I'm very interested in your opinion about this.

Thank you
Irmen de Jong

PS
What's all that fuss about the new URI formats? Well, let me show you:

#! /usr/bin/env python
import Pyro.core
Pyro.core.initClient()
object=Pyro.core.getProxyForURI("PYRONAME://:Test.MyObject")  # lookup through
Name Server
print object.method()
object=Pyro.core.getProxyForURI("PYROLOC://localhost:MyObject")  # direct lookup
print object.method()
# that's all :-)