hang in urllib.read()?

Nick Arnett narnett at mccmedia.com
Sun Mar 24 19:29:46 EST 2002

The (presumably) infinite loop that I thought was in sgmllib, about which I
posted earlier, actually seems to be when I call read() on an urllib.urlopen
object.  It's terribly non-reproducible, though -- I'm retrieving lots of
pages and sometimes it'll go for dozens and dozens, no problem.  Other time
it hangs after just a few.  And it won't do it on the same page twice, as
far as I can see.

I've been unable to find anything like this searching...  sound familiar to
anyone, or any suggestions for nailing it down, short of gruesome stepping
through with a debugger, hoping I can catch one...?

This is on Win2000 with Python 2.2.  Haven't tried on other platforms yet.

Nick

narnett at mccmedia.com
(408) 904-7198