Python song? (Re: Python isn't necessarily slow)

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony at lsl.co.uk
Wed Mar 6 04:28:03 EST 2002

Definitely off topic, but...

Tim Legant wrote:
> Oh, are you from across the pond?  It was either Bronski Beat or the
> Communards who did an interesting cover of Ain't Necessarily So in the
> early '80s - I think both groups were Brits....  It's in more of a
> Broadway musical style than country, though.

I'm not sure which side of the pond Tim is from, so I'm not sure that
helped...

Anyway, the song "It ain't necessarily slow" is from George Gershwin's
Porgy and Bess (see, for instance
http://www.operaheb.co.il/operas/arias/porgy5.html).

Jimmy Somerville (who is from Glasgow, which is in Scotland, and was at
the time in Bronski Beat - later on he was indeed in the Communards)
does indeed cover this - it's on the album The Age of Consent, and also
on his singles album.

I have no reason to think that Jimmy Somerville programs in Python,
though...

Tibs

Give a pedant an inch and they'll take 25.4mm
(once they've established you're talking a post-1959 inch, of course)