Conditional Import

Danil danil at ultranet.com
Thu Mar 14 11:40:38 EST 2002

Is there a standard python idiom for coping with importing one of several
libraries?

Right now, I've this hack in the middle of my code

try:
    from codeop import CommandCompiler
except:
    from MockCommandCompiler import CommandCompiler

But if I have to put up with a work around like this, I'd prefer that it
be fairly elegant.  Or at least standard...

Danil
p.s. because codeop.CommandCompiler fails in 2.1, and I've yet to find a
recipe that will get me to Win32 + Python 2.2 + pygtk.  That help would
be appreciated too; I've been unable to find or build a _gtk.pyd that
python22 will import.