Twain Scanners and some other questions

Steven Majewski sdm7g at virginia.edu
Mon Mar 4 14:50:02 EST 2002

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Chris Gonnerman wrote:

> > > The wonderful Daily Python-URL (http://www.pythonware.com/daily) just
> > > pointed to http://twainmodule.sourceforge.net a few days ago.
> >
> > but this only works on windows, making it useless for real computers.
>
> Ah, dix is interested in *TWAIN* scanner drivers, so necessarily that means
> Windows.  The TWAIN driver interface isn't used outside the M$ world AFAIK.

It's also a very common interface on Macintosh.

I don't know of any reason the spec couldn't be implemented on unix,
but I also don't know if any implementation. ( And without commercial
apps that use it like Photoshop, there's probably not much demand. )

[BTW: You can find the spec at www.twain.org.]

-- Steve Majewski