Win32 Impersonation

Giganews orl_ando74 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 28 23:04:32 EST 2002

Hey all,

I'm a newbie with Python, and I have been looking for a way to run a script
as the administrator on Windows NT.  I have the user name and password, and
some code to do the impersonation, but when I try to use it, I receive a
sort of access denied message.  Upon reading the ActivePython docs, I found
that the user who runs the impersonation script needs SE_TCB_NAME,
SE_CHANGE_NOTIFY_NAME, and SE_ASSIGNPRIMARYTOKEN_NAME priveleges.

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but the only two accounts on these systems
with these priveleges are the administrator and the local system account.
Obviously, if I already were the administrator I wouldn't have this problem.
I think I'm missing something.

Anyway, here is the template of the code that I'm having problems with:

admin=win32security.LogonUser('administrator_account','domain','password')

win32security.ImpersonateLoggedOnUser(admin)

Has anyone gotten this to work on their systems, if so please help me!  Is
there another way?
Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Pablo Manzanera