Standalone CGI Server - Question for Group

Sandy Norton sandskyfly at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 30 01:23:07 EST 2002

(Sloth) wrote in message
> Again, thanks for all of the thoughtful replies.  I've tried each of
> them, and I still get the same result:
> 1) The server starts and will serve HTTP.
> 2) Upon submitting a GET request, the Windows ME OS "beeps" once
> 3) The page hangs without returning the result.
> 4) The WinME machine needs to be powered down completely, or it will
> hang indefinitely.

Yes it is strange. I can't help you with beeps or hanging or with
win95/winME, but often with some more testing you can 'hopefully'
get a better idea of  what's going on:

[A] modify the cgi-script to enable cgitb debugging (which comes
    with py2.2) this will show pretty tracebacks if possible:
        #!python

        import cgi, cgitb; cgitb.enable() # <<< add this
        print "Content-Type: text/plain\n\n"
        form = cgi.FieldStorage()
        for name in form.keys():
            print "Input: " + name + " --> " + form[name].value + "\n"
        print "Finished!"

[B] run your cgi script directly from the commandline. For example:
        C:\server\cgi-bin> python testcgi.py query=hello

        Input: query --> hello

        Finished!

        C:\server\cgi-bin>

If you still can't get to the root of the problem, then it may be due
to issues that are specific to a python WinME interaction: perhaps
something to do with w9xpopen.exe ?? Pure speculation at this point...

BTW: I've tested my earlier example on winXP and it works fine.

good luck,

Sandy