[ANN] istring 1.0.1 released; announce list created

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Wed Mar 13 18:42:28 EST 2002

"Bjorn Pettersen" <BPettersen at NAREX.com> writes:

> Except that's not how SQL is quoted (It should have been 'O''Hara').
> Besides, anyone not using bound variables must be crazy <wink>

Or looking for performance.  In some environments (e.g., remote access
over dialup with ODBC), issuing an ExecDirect() call with a simple
string can be significantly faster (e.g., a ways back I was in an
environment where the difference was 2-3x) than using bound variables
which requires additional server requests along the way.

I don't disagree with the underlying sentiment that letting the driver
handle DB-specific quoting issues is a cleaner way to go, but it does
also carry some disadvantages at times or in some environments.

--
-- David