basic statistics in python

Paul Magwene p.magwene at snet.net
Sat Mar 16 12:19:35 EST 2002

On Sat, 16 Mar 2002 10:31:58 -0500, Tim Churches wrote:

>> The graphics are good; but I would always prefer Dislin as long as I do
>> not need any specialized graphics from the field of statistics.
>
> The main problem with Dislin is that it is not open source, nor is it
> free on Unix or Mac OS/X platforms. R is distributed under the GPL.

You're correct about DISLIN not being open source.  More than once I've
wanted to pry the top off and peer inside to fix a minor buglet. However,
I must say that Helmut Michels has been VERY responsive to bug reports or
inconsistencies I'v reported, usually issuing fixes with 48 hours.

Note, that if you're interested in using DISLIN with Python, it IS free on
all the supported systems.  To quote from the DISLIN web page:

"The DISLIN plotting extensions for Java, Python and Perl and the DISLIN
interpreter DISGCL can be used freely on all operating systems."

--Paul