Is Python an object based programming langauge?

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Thu Mar 14 18:09:45 EST 2002

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 21:26:40 GMT, ullrich at math.okstate.edu (David C. Ullrich) wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:40:57 +0100, anton at vredegoor.doge.nl (Anton
>Vredegoor) wrote:
>
>>On 14 Mar 2002 01:55:03 GMT, bokr at oz.net (Bengt Richter) wrote:
>>
>>>Sorry, but that is not true of Delphi. Did you ever work Delphi from
>>>the command line? You can easily write console apps that do not use GUI windows:
>>>---
>[...]
>>
>>>Well, please don't add to the confusion about Delphi's capabilities ;-)
>>>You could put someone off that might like it ;-)
>>
>>Well I like Delphi myself and I don't want to put anyone off!
>>However I just wanted to state that its very unnatural in Delphi to
>>write a console app. For example open the IDE and click
>>
>>file-new-
>>
>>and then try to click on something that starts a new console
>>application -).
>
>Console apps are not the only way to write Delphi programs that
>start, do something, then exit. I do it all the time, it's very
>very easy, and I'm not nearly smart enough to be able to figure
>out how to write a console app in Delphi:
>
>You simply edit the dpr file ("View Project Source") - remove
>_everything_ (there's not that much there to begin with) and
>in between the "begin" and "end" put whatever it is you want
>the program to do. (You can add references to other units...).
>
>It's the Application.This and Application.That in the dpr that
>sets up the message loop, etc - remove that and it's gone.

Good points to make clear. Also you can mess with this part to
do things conditionally (e.g., command line options or
checking on file existence prerequisites etc) and start up
in one mode or another, or just pop up a message box, etc.

>For some sorts of things I like this _better_ than a console
>app - no GUI window, no console popping up either. (These
>programs tend to get associated with Folder in the registry;
>I right-click on a folder, select whatever and all the files
>in the folder are processed in some way - no muss.)

I haven't used a folder association like that, thanks for the hint.

>>I do not want to criticize Delphi, I do want to state that object
>>oriented programming can be so tightly coupled to GUI style program
>>design that it can give the (false) impression that GUI style program
>>design and OOP are unavoidably connected.
>>
>>Anton.
>

>David C. Ullrich

Regards,
Bengt Richter