Using HTMLHelp files with win32all-146 for Python22

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Mon Mar 18 14:16:51 EST 2002

Gerson Kurz wrote:

> So now only to change Pythonwin to use them. First I hacked
> pythonwin/framework/help.py, but the recommended way is probably this:
> In the registry, in
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Python\PythonCore\2.2\Help\Main Python
> Documentation
>
> edit the variable to point to the .chm file rather than the
> index.html. That works! Now I only hope this isn't spelled out in
> large fonts somewhere in the doc & therefor obvious ;)

Note that the PythonWin "Tools" menu has an option, "Edit PythonPath",
which will allow you to edit a number of registry settings for Python.  Of
specific interest here is the "Help" key;  each subkey of that is an
option in the PythonWin helpfiles list; the value points to the file to
use.  So if you change that value to point to the .chm file, you're set,
and this is simpler/safer than using Regedit.  :)  (You can also add new
keys, pointing to different files, to add options to the help list;  I've
done this to make my wxPython helpfiles easily available through
PythonWin.)

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International