trackers (was: zlib vulnerabilities and python)

Richard Jones rjones at ekit-inc.com
Wed Mar 13 17:36:17 EST 2002

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 07:29, Trent Mick wrote:
> Bugzilla has a big use community, hence, I would suspect better support. It
> is heavily used in a lot of projects. Roundup is not, from what I know.

It is used in several environments for several purposes. One of these days
I'll do a quick poll of the userbase to find out...

> With bugzilla you can explicitly add yourself and remove yourself from the
> Cc lists of bugs. With roundup you get plopped onto a the nosy list of a
> bug by responding to traffic on the discussion.
> [snip]
> Roundup's use of the subject line of emails to carry bug attributes did
> not, in our experience, scale well.

Have you investigated roundup recently? That is, since it was re-written from
scratch using the spec from the Software Carpentry project? Or are you just
making these statements based on several-year-old-knowledge?

> Aahz wrote:
> > What, if anything, does roundup have that bugzilla
> > does not?
>
> It is written in Python. :)

Yeah! :)

Bugzilla has some stuff that roundup doesn't provide by default (parent bugs
for example), but I believe that roundup is fully capable of all of
Bugzilla's functionality by implementing simple detectors. They just haven't
been written yet, since all the current users of roundup haven't had the need.

    Richard