IOError on file close

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Mar 29 17:27:43 EST 2002

"Michael S. Fischer" <michael+usenet at dynamine.net> writes:

> Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

No, but I can tell you how to find out. Write these commands into a
script, then run the script under strace(1). Find the system call that
returns error 38 (ENOSYS). Once you found it, you will know what
system call is not supported by that part of the proc file system.

If you then want to understand it even deeper, you must locate the
relevant part of the Linux source code, and check why it returns
-ENOSYS. Most likely, it has a NULL function pointer in it somewhere,
and the syscall layer return ENOSYS.

It may be that close(2) would return ENOSYS, but this is unlikely.

Regards,
Martin