Help with a Python ASP C extension module ...

Eric Vasilik eric at vasilik.com
Sat Mar 16 02:16:51 EST 2002

I am writing a C extension to Python.  The reason I am writing an
extension is that I believe that the implementation of
Response.BinaryWrite() in the Window's ASP extension (I am using
Active State's Python 2.1) is not releasing the global interpreter
lock.  I am getting very poor performace using it and I believe that
my server is not taking advantage of writing out multiple streams
because of the global lock.

Instead of writing out a response with:

    Response.BinaryWrite( buffer( open( fileName, 'rb' ).read() ) )

I am now doing the following:

    PythonExt.binaryWriteFile( Response, fileName )

The difference between these two is that the first calls the default
implementation of Response.BinaryWrite and the second calls an
extension I have written which reads the file and writes it out to
response, all while the interpreter lock is released.

My problem, is I cannot find any documentation on how to get a hold of
the IResponse object from the Python Response object.  I need to get
it so that I may call BinaryWrite on without going back into the
Python interpreter.

I thought I would be able to find the source for the Response object
with the source from Active State, or the source from Mark Hammond's
win32All, but I found no references there.  Any help would be
appreciated.