python and haskell for fun

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Mon Mar 11 18:02:34 EST 2002

In article <mailman.1015882525.3222.python-list at python.org>,
Kendall Clark  <kendall at monkeyfist.com> wrote:

>I've been daydreaming for about a year of a Python implementation
>written in Haskell, which would obviously make writing Python
>extensions in Haskell easier (and more elegant, IMO, than writing them
>in C or Java).
>
>However, John Paul Skaller did something similar with Ocaml, which he
>called Vyper, and that went over in the Py world like a leaden balloon
>-- actually it went over about as poorly as Stackless Python did;
>which does cause me to wonder what it is about Python culture, if
>anything, that's resistant to unusual alternative implementations?. A
>Python implementation in Haskell is probably a fool's task. Though
>given the various Haskell compilers, including some pretty impressive
>parallelizing stuff, it is an interesting idea.

The main problem with Vyper was that it wasn't finished, and Skaller
mysteriously vanished.  Stackless has in fact been moderately popular,
given the problems inherent in requiring a special patched version of
Python and lagging a version or two behind.  I'm hopeful that the latest
lighter-weight version of Stackless will win new converts -- but I won't
be one of them because I'm lazy.  ;-)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours."  --Richard Bach