Why isn't pychecker mentioned prominently?

Neal Norwitz neal at metaslash.com
Mon Mar 4 16:09:23 EST 2002

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> "Edward K. Ream" <edream at tds.net> writes:
>
> > I just found out about pychecker (http://pychecker.sourceforge.net/) and
> > I am wondering why it isn't mentioned prominently all over the Python
> > web site: the tutorial, the links on the left and side of the home page,
> > topics guides, general reference etc.
>
> Two reasons:
>
> a) it is mentioned prominently. Guido mentioned as hist favourite tool
>    both in the proceedings and his keynote at IPC10. It can't get more
>    prominent than that, in the Python world :-)
>
> b) because it is fairly new, and evolving
>
> c) because nobody submitted patches to the tutorial.
>
> (you always get three reasons in a message that says it will give two
> reasons :-)

:-)  All of these are true.

There have been some conversations about how pychecker should fit into
Python.  Right now, the timing isn't great.  Pychecker has it's share
of problems and is a work-in-progress.

However, there is general agreement that the functionality pychecker
offers will eventually get into Python.  We simply need to determine
the best approach.

In the meantime, I suppose the best approach is to add some doc
(both in Python and Pychecker).  I added a Python FAQ entry (4.101)
a while ago.  What are some suggestions for where best
to update documenation, provide links, etc.
including  specific pages or files?

Neal