PEP 284, Integer for-loops

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Wed Mar 6 19:21:31 EST 2002

In article <slrna8dbsh.utc.grey at teleute.dmiyu.org>,
 Steve Lamb <grey at despair.dmiyu.org> wrote:

> range[foo,bar,baz] is what is there and, for anyone who
> takes the time to learn the language instead of looking for problems, finds
> that it is quite clear.

Speak for yourself, please.  To Steve Lamb, range(foo,bar,baz) may be
clear but it is not to me.  I understand what it means, I don't have to
go looking in any texts, I don't pine after C's for(foo,bar,baz)
instead, but it still takes me too much unnecessary time to work out the
+1's and -1's whenever I want something other than the generic half-open
interval.

And please avoid the ad-hominems ("too lazy to learn the language"), it
doesn't contribute to rational debate.