socket

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Mar 16 00:31:38 EST 2002

In article <trqk8.21666$Vx1.1878870 at newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, Billy Ng wrote:

> Nothing evil here.  I have 2 reasons why I would do this program.  Firs, it
> is my TCP/IP concept class's project.  Basically, I want to try what the
> book tells in to code, but I notice it does not work the way it says in so
> many commercial SMTP servers.

What?!

Things in the real world don't work they way they describe them
in networking classes?!?!  ;)

> Second, I have been unemployed for about 4 months.  My
> friend's company needs a program to verify the users who
> registered to their service.  They found out many registered
> users were using fake addresses.

The only way that will actually work is to send an e-mail with
some sort of unique ID in it. Require that the user reply to
the message. No competent ISP will allow outsiders to check
whether an arbitrary e-mail address is valid.

> I just want to try this program to see if I will get a job
> there.  That's all!  I really do appreciate if you would
> provide any info for me to complete this project.

Good luck, but it's going to be an up hill battle.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Is this BOISE??
                                  at