Python on W2K server and dos batch files?

Mark Kingston mkingston at -at-shaw.ca
Wed Mar 6 14:38:21 EST 2002

Hello Experts,

I've been looking into the possibility of using Python as a scripting
language for use on our Windows 2000 Server with Terminal Services and
Citrix Metaframe XPa.  The reason I'm looking into a scripting language
instead of a compiled program is that I need to add new functionality to the
programs often.  The scripting program will also serve as a "launch pad" for
other DOS batch files and compiled console applications.

I would appreciate if you can tell me if Python is a good fit for what I
want to do.  If not, please recommend another solution.

The tasks I wish to accomplish is as follows:

1. Create a GUI (wxPython?) which will be used for server administration
purposes such as automatically displaying a list of NT users on a form and
allowing the user to select which user to enable or disable.

2. Create a GUI which will allow a user to launch other scripts such as DOS
batch files, Windows programs and console programs.

3. The GUI should also be able to capture the output of console programs and
display it on it's own text box or panel.

4. Perform advanced text file manipulation.

Thanks for reading this long post and any information is greatly
appreciated!

--
Mark.
mkingston at -at-shaw.ca
Please remove '-at-' from email if replying directly to me.