Windows Installation

Gerhard Häring gerhard at bigfoot.de
Fri Mar 15 00:35:15 EST 2002

Peter Hansen wrote in comp.lang.python:
> Jonathan Gardner wrote:
>>
>> I have a free software program (http://sf.net/projects/bttotalcontrol/) and
>> I am having great difficulty writing an installation script for windows.
>>
>> I don't want to use distutils because I am not writing a module - but an
>> entire distribution with images, data files, and executable programs. I
>> would like to put icons on the desktop and stuff in the start menu as well.
>>
>> I am at a major disadvantage because I don't have access to a windows
>> machine, and so I can't test anything directly. However, I do have a few
>> people who actively test for the project at home.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions on where I should go? Anyone can help me out
>> here?
>
> Why not find and use one of the several free installer programs, rather
> than trying to write something from scratch yourself?
>
> For example, try looking at google with "free windows installers" and
> follow the first link you find.

NSIS rocks. But AFAIR his problem is that he doesn't have a Windows
box to build the installer on.

The best solution to this problem is to give in and get a damn Windows
box.  Even a virtual one with VMWare or Bochs will do. AFAIK Bochs can
run at least Windows 95 and it even runs on non-x86 hardware.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id 86AB43C0