what I would like to see in python to make a better "glue" language (Newbie)

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Mon Mar 4 12:47:12 EST 2002

Quoth Anthony Baxter <anthony at ekit-inc.com>:
| > 1. LDAP module should be included in the base distro. Active Directory
| > is already available via com (nice)
|
| I'm not convinced that this should be in the base distribution. Aside from
| anything else, it often requires particular LDAP libraries to install. I
| do think it should be easier to find and auto-install packages, but the
| standard answer to this is, as ever, "send code".

What do you think of the odds on a pure Python solution?

The C library requirement is very awkward, especially on unusual
platforms, and I'm thinking a Python implementation might actually
come out better.  Could have some advantages in situations where
you want to go deeper into the system, like between the BER encoding
and the LDAP protocol itself for debugging purposes.  Maybe if the
text processing turned out to be a serious performance issue, some
decoding and parsing parts could be optionally implemented in C.

I see the old 3.3 libldap adds up to 14K lines of code, but that's C,
everyone knows Python can do the job in a lot less code.

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu