Most important extensions?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Mar 31 09:49:53 EST 2002

In article <3CA6ADEC.80859964 at engcorp.com>,
Peter Hansen  <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
>Aahz wrote:
>>
>> I'm teaching Python for [Perl] Programmers at OSCON this July.  I've
>> already decided to mention mxODBC, NumPy, and PIL, plus PythonPoint (aka
>> ReportLab) gets a mention on my title page.  I'd like this group to vote
>> on the most important extensions for me to add to this list.  Please vote
>> for no more than three.
>
>I take it PyXml and PyUnit no longer qualify as "extensions"?

You got it.

>(Not that the idea of unit testing would necessarily appeal
>to Perl programmers anyway.)

Let me make clear that one of my goals for this tutorial (despite my
occasional snarks here on c.l.py) is to have NO advocacy and NO war.
After all, people who show up for that class have paid good money to
learn Python (or at least their company's money), and for all that there
are significant differences between Python and Perl, the fundamental
goal for both languages is the same: programmer productivity.  I think
it's great that there are different approaches to that goal, even if
Python is a better approach.  ;-)

Why is this newsgroup different from all other newsgroups?