"Zope-certified Python Engineers" [was: Java and Python]

Steven Majewski sdm7g at Virginia.EDU
Thu Mar 21 11:21:37 EST 2002

On 21 Mar 2002, Cameron Laird wrote:

> So, for example, I've heard that Python isn't as serious
> as Java because it's not possible to hire "Zope-certified
> Python Engineers".  Sun does that for Java, Zope doesn't
> for Python, therefore Python isn't as trustworthy as
> Java.

In the light of earlier discussion on this thread, here's my suggestion:

Rather than just giving another test, let someone pull out a significant
non-trivial task from the Python "to-do" list for each applicant for
certification. After review of satisfactory completeion of 3 tasks in
different categories, you get certified.  Review might include having
to write up something on why you did it that way, or some other
explaination -- basically an essay question. Some organization
( Zope? PSA? Python.org ? ) will have to be responsible for final review
and approval, but largely it will be through "community review" -- i.e.
submitting to SourceForge, posting to mailing-list/newsgroup for
discussion, etc. -- although perhaps a little more formalized, like
the PEP procedure. ( Or maybe this begs for a Slashdot like system to
distribute the review, grading and selection of projects. )

-- Steve