Conditional Import

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Mar 14 12:14:24 EST 2002

Danil <danil at ultranet.com> writes:

> Is there a standard python idiom for coping with importing one of several
> libraries?
>
> Right now, I've this hack in the middle of my code
>
> try:
>     from codeop import CommandCompiler
> except:

make that

except ImportError:

>     from MockCommandCompiler import CommandCompiler
>
> But if I have to put up with a work around like this, I'd prefer that it
> be fairly elegant.  Or at least standard...

try:...except ImportError:...

is standard.

> p.s. because codeop.CommandCompiler fails in 2.1,

I know, I wrote it for 2.2... do the workarounds mentioned in the
docs:

    http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-codeop.html

help?

> and I've yet to find a recipe that will get me to Win32 + Python 2.2
> + pygtk.  That help would be appreciated too; I've been unable to
> find or build a _gtk.pyd that python22 will import.

Can't help you here.

Cheers,
M.

--
  (ps: don't feed the lawyers: they just lose their fear of humans)
                                         -- Peter Wood, comp.lang.lisp