CP4E was Re: Deitel and Deitel Book...

Ramkumar Kashyap rkashyap at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 7 14:32:39 EST 2002

My original intent for starting the thread was because I truly believe
in CP4E.  In my freshman year, we were a total of 38 students in the EE
major. When I graduated four years later, there were 12 of us, no women.
 I don't believe that programming concepts are more difficult/harder to
understand and grasp than any engineering curriculum or for that matter
physics/mathematics.

Somebody in this thread raised the point that the logic involved in
programming in not intuitive.  I agree with that. The point I want to
make is that there are programs like Hooked-on-Phonics, and other
remedial language programs that are quite effective in raising the
literacy levels among adults.

Another point (this is purely from observation and others with children
may want to corroborrate) is that children tend to learn faster and
retain longer with repetition.  I don't know if there are any people on
CLP who are also conversant with the human brain and can shed light on
the formation of new neural pathways etc.

I should also confess that I have an ulterior motive in this discussion,
which is to teach my kid to program, (which is still a few years away).

regards,

Ramkumar