Has Mark Hammond attained pariah status yet?

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Mar 12 15:51:44 EST 2002

"Samuele Pedroni" <pedronis at bluewin.ch> writes:

> And what datapoints we acquire through the article?

I think the article states a number of facts properly:

"Despite his best efforts, there just isn't a lot of interest from the
community in seeing Python move further into the Microsoft compound."

Certainly true; there is little interest in Python.NET in the Python
community (just as there is little interest in other branches, such as
Stackless, Psyco, and, to some degree, Jython).

"Hammond says Python developers tend to be wary and sceptical of
Microsoft's motives"

I'm quite sure Hammond said that, and I also agree with Mark. I'm
myself wary and sceptical of Microsoft motives, and I know many other
people who are.

"Hammond was working for Active State, a Canadian software tools
developer, but was laid off two months ago."

This fact is not news to us, but may be to other readers.

"One of the problems Hammond and de Icaza face is the morass of
confusion surrounding the exact nature of .NET. Microsoft may have
deliberately muddied the waters, confusing the casual IT user and
business managers especially."

That is certainly not overstated. I find confusion over what .NET
exactly is and does among my peers, and I agree that Microsoft itself
is source of some of the confusion.

Regards,
Martin