beginner

Simon Brunning SBrunning at trisystems.co.uk
Tue Mar 26 08:42:20 EST 2002

> From:	Kenéz Attila [SMTP:attila-kenez at vnet.hu]
> I am a beginner using Python and I have two problems.
>
> I would like two write an installer program in Python, that works on any
> computer with Wondow OS, so that is not nesseccary to have Python
> interpreter on it. Is there a simple (or a difficult) way to do it?

I use a combination of py2exe
(<http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/>), which builds an exe
file from a Python script, and Inno setup
(<http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php>), which builds a setup for your new
exe.

There are alternatives to both of these, but they work for me.

> The other question is about pyd files. I did not found any mention about
> it
> in the documentation. I want to access a database under SAP DB from
> Python,
> and for that I need to use the sapdb.pyd file. I tried to move it to a
> directory in PATH and PYTHONPATH but the interpreter dropped an error at
> the
> import statement. How I have to use these kind of files?

A plain old import should work if the pyd is in your PYTHONPATH. It would be
useful to see the error message, but my first guess is that you have the
wrong version of the pyd file - under windows, they are specific to a Python
release. If you have Python 2.2, and the pyd was compiled for 2.1, it
wouldn't work.

Cheers,
Simon Brunning
TriSystems Ltd.